ELKHART — A grease fire was blamed for a midafternoon blaze at a home Wednesday on Main Street.

According to a news release issued by the city, four fire engines arrived at 1240 N. Main St. after receiving a call around 2:45 p.m.

Firefighters arrived to see smoke coming out of the front doorway, flames from the kitchen and the occupant standing in the yard. The fire was quickly extinguished and smoke removed from the home, firefighters said. 

The occupant told firefighters she had put a pan of grease on the stove but fell asleep in the bedroom. She was awakened by the sound of smoke alarms and noted smoke in the house.

The fire was ruled accidental. Damage to the building was estimated at $10,000 with damage to contents about $2,000. 

The American Red Cross was contacted for assistance.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.