NAPPANEE — Some Nappanee residents were evacuated from their homes for a few hours because of a gas leak Monday night, March 16.
The leak was reported in the 600 block of N. Jackson Street at about 7:30 p.m., a dispatcher with the Elkhart County 911 Center confirmed.
A work crew was taking samples for a combined sewer overflow project when they hit a gas line deep underground, Nappanee Mayor Larry Thompson said in a phone interview Monday night.
The all-clear was given for residents to return to their homes at 11:01 p.m., Thompson said. Residents within about a two to four block area were evacuated and NIPSCO was immediately called when the leak was first reported, Thompson said. The evacuation area was reduced to 100 feet of Jackson Street and Broad Avenue at about 10 p.m.
Councilman Jeff Kitson, who lives near the area of the evacuation, guessed that about 20 homes were probably affected.