ELKHART — A fire at an Elkhart business caused an estimated $5,000 in damage during the night between Friday and Saturday, according to the Elkhart Fire Department.
Firefighters were called to Altec Engineering about 11:30 p.m. Friday and found heavy smoke throughout the building at 2401 W. Mishawaka Road.
Crews then discovered fire inside a trash hopper and up the west wall and ceiling.
A sprinkler system contained the fire until the crew arrived, and the flames were under control by the fire department at 12:15 a.m.
According to the fire department, it took a long time to clear the smoke because of the size of the building.
It appeared fiberglass resins in the trash hopper accidentally caused a chemical reaction and combustion, setting the contents on fire, officials said.