Notre Dame's Pro Day is underway, though half of the 16 players scheduled to participate sat out during testing.
Carlo Calabrese, Dan Fox, Bennett Jackson, Louis Nix, Tommy Rees, Kona Schwenke, Chris Watt and Robby Toma ran the 40, the 3-Cone Drill and the Pro Agility Shuttle. George Atkinson III, Mike Golic Jr., TJ Jones, Zack Martin, Troy Niklas, Prince Shembo, Nick Tausch and Stephon Tuitt did not participate.
While we won't have official measurements and times until this afternoon, here are a few naked eye observations:
- 2013 grads Robby Toma and Mike Golic Jr. were back in town and giving Pro Day another go. Offensive line drills are going on right now (1:10 p.m.), but Toma looked fluid and fast in every receiver rep he took.
- Stephon Tuitt entered the Loftus with a walking boot on his left foot. Tuitt is recovering from surgery to repair a fractured bone.
- Troy Niklas also has yet to participate in a drill. The tight end seems to still be favoring a core injury.
- Tommy Rees looked sharp during his portion of the position drills. Unofficial count: 32-of-34 in the passing drill (though one of those was a George Atkinson drop). Notre Dame's new quarterback coach, Matt LaFleur, worked with Rees on a throwing script during the past week.
- TJ Jones favored a hamstring throughout his position drills. Though he caught every pass that came his way, he eventually had to pull himself from the drill because of the hamstring.
- Louis Nix passes the eye test. He's slimmed down and looks like a wall of solid muscle. We haven't seen him in position drills yet, but he looked great in testing.
- Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley are on hand. Looks like scouts from the other 30 NFL teams are here, too.
I'll update this post once Notre Dame posts official times and measurements. Look for video later, too.