Notre Dame defense "running out of next man in"
Notre Dame's training room is even more crowded following a 38-34 win over Navy on Saturday, Nov. 2.
An already-thin Irish defense has taken even more injury hits after a rainy night on a wet field. Many injuries keep key starters from traveling to Pitt on Saturday.
"We're running out of next man in," head coach Brian Kelly said at a Sunday teleconference.
- Linebacker Ben Councell is out for the season with a knee injury, Kelly said.
- Defensive end Sheldon Day re-aggravated a high ankle injury he had been recovering from. Kelly said he may be ready for the Pitt game on Saturday.
- Nose guard Kona Schwenke has a high-ankle sprain and will miss the Pitt game.
- Nose guard Louis Nix, who missed games against Air Force and Navy, underwent an MRI during Kelly's teleconference. Nix had been recovering from knee tendinitis and a torn meniscus.
- Linebacker Ishaq Williams suffered an ACL injury against Air Force and sat out during the Navy game. He'll also miss the Pitt game.
- Safety Austin Collinsworth suffered a neck strain and will undergo an MRI Monday.
“We’re at that point where from a defensive standpoint and particularly on the defensive line, we're left with very few options,” Kelly said. “It becomes an issue now where we have to be very creative with what we're doing and how we're doing it. We have some more work to do in terms of looking at personnel. We’ll figure something out. We’ll get 11 guys out there. It's just not going to be one of those things where we have the same group of guys out there all the time.”