Friday, December 19, 2014

ND for web
Posted on Aug. 12, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Aug. 12, 2013 at 2:45 p.m.

NOTRE DAME — Notre Dame safety Nicky Baratti will be out for the season after dislocating his shoulder during practice Saturday, Aug. 10, head coach Brian Kelly confirmed at a Monday media session.

Kelly said the sophomore aggravated the same shoulder that he had surgery on during the offseason.

“We hope to regain that year (of eligibility), obviously,” Kelly said. “Very disappointed for Nick, he’s worked hard to get back. We’ll expect the next man in to step up and get it done there.”

Baratti had been taking first-team reps in preseason camp. Now Austin Collinsworth and Elijah Shumate figure to compete for the job opposite veteran Matthias Farley.

Kelly said that safeties John Turner, Eliar Hardy and freshman Max Redfield have also made coaches take notice.

“They have put themselves in position along with Collinsworth, Shumate (and) Farley, where we’ve got pretty good depth there,” Kelly said.

Baratti saw action in 13 games in 2012, pulling down an interception against Michigan last September but mostly sticking to special teams.