Submit an Obituary
Guidelines for submitting an obituary to The Elkhart Truth:
The Elkhart Truth's deadline for obituary submissions is 3 p.m. each day for publication the following day. The Elkhart Truth prefers to work directly with funeral homes or cremation services when publishing obituaries, if possible.
Hard copy submissions of obituaries and photographs may be dropped off at The Elkhart Truth from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
To submit an obituary, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the text of the obituary, any photo(s) and contact information including a name and phone number. To verify receipt of an obituary, call (574) 296-5887.
- Submitter must provide the name and phone number of mortuary/cremation service/funeral home/scientific research organization that can verify death. (We must be able to make this verification or we will not run the obituary.)
- Contact information for person submitting the obituary and/or providing payment for obituary, if applicable.
- Name, date of birth, date of death of the deceased and the deceased's connection to the Elkhart County or southwestern Michigan area (former resident, formerly worked here or has a named survivor of this area).
- Photographs submitted of a deceased person must be a clear photograph with the individual's eyes open and may be cropped to fit The Elkhart Truth's guidelines. Photos must be submitted in .jpg or .png format. Photos published larger than the standard obituary photo size may be considered if they meet The Elkhart Truth's guidelines and start at a $75 fee. Contact The Elkhart Truth's Obituary Department for more information.
- Payment, if applicable. Obituaries will not be run without payment information confirmed and collected prior to publication.
- A free obituary is roughly six inches of one newspaper column, which translates to 1,064 characters (including spaces). Any text running longer than 1,064 characters with spaces incurs a charge. For a quote, or to get pricing information on multiple publication dates, contact The Elkhart Truth Obituaries Department. Any obituary requested to run as free, but is longer than the eligible space, will be edited for length according to The Elkhart Truth's discretion.
- Funeral homes bear sole responsibility for advising the family on the cost of a paid obituary. When possible, The Elkhart Truth prefers to bill funeral homes directly for paid obituaries. It is the responsibility of the funeral home to include those costs in their billings to families.
- An additional $10 typing fee applies to obituaries submitted in any form other than a composed obituary sent via email, on top of any charge due to length.
- There is an additional $15 charge to list a funeral home or cremation service's website (including for online condolences), on top of any charge incurred by the length. Websites listed for memorial donations will not incur a charge.
- If the submitted obituary contains an error not made by The Elkhart Truth, it may be rerun with the corrected information once only for a fee of $25. The error must be a significant, factual error, not additional information. Corrections may only be made by the person who originally submitted the published obituary which contains the error. Anyone who notices an error in an obituary may contact the submitting party (the funeral home in charge of arrangements or a family member) who may then contact The Elkhart Truth to verify the correction and arrange republishing.
- One photograph may be run with the obituary for free. A second photograph incurs a $25 charge.
- The Elkhart Truth strives to provide strong local information to the community it serves. If an obituary is submitted for publishing in The Elkhart Truth that does not contain a specific named connection to Elkhart County or the southwestern Michigan area, a $65 fee will be incurred. To verify if an area is considered local, contact The Elkhart Truth's Obituary Department.
For questions, concerns or more detailed information on submitting an obituary to The Elkhart Truth, please call (574) 296-5887.
* The Elkhart Truth reserves the right to edit for grammar, spelling, AP Style and The Elkhart Truth's own style and to decline to publish any photograph of poor quality.