ELKHART — The Concord Athletic Hall of Fame will welcome five new inductees Friday, May 2.
Steve Carter, Scott DeShone, Jennifer Hale Higley, Jeff Massey and Dave Singell will be enshrined in the Concord Athletic Hall of Fame during a ceremony at the Matterhorn Restaurant Friday.
A social time with cash bar will begin at 6:30 p.m. with the dinner and induction ceremony beginning at 7. Tickets are $20 (dinner included) and should be purchased or reserved through the Concord athletic officat 574-875-6524.
• Steve Carter — A 1978 graduate, Carter earned two varsity letters in both football and as a student manager for the baseball team. Carter attended Purdue University and worked as an athletic trainer during the 1988 Olympic track and field trials in Indianapolis and in 1989 with the Detroit Tigers. Carter lives in Washington, Mich., and donates a scholarship to a graduating Concord athletic trainer every year
• J. Scott DeShone — A 1985 graduate, DeShone earned three varsity letters in both football and track. As a senior, DeShone led Concord to a 10-2 record and the school's first trip to the state championship game. He earned All-State honors that year. In track, DeShone set a school record in the 800 relay that still stands today. DeShone played safety at Ball State and Butler. He lives in Elkhart and is a member of the Elkhart County Sports Hall of Fame.
• Jennifer (Hale) Higley — A 2000 graduate, Higley earned 11 varsity letters in volleyball, basketball and track. She was named All-Conference in all three sports and threw at the state track meet as a senior. Higley's shot put record of 39-3¾ still stands today. She played volleyball at Taylor University, receiving All-American honors as a junior and senior. Higley lives in Bristol and is an assistant coach with Goshen College volleyball.
• Jeff Massey — A 1991 graduate, Massey earned two varsity letters in basketball. As a junior, he was a starter on the 28-1 state runner-up team. As a senior, he was a starter for the 25-3 regional champion team. Massey was named to the Indiana All Star team, earned second-team All State honors and was named Area Player of the Year. Massey played basketball at Owens Technical College, winning two national championships, and at Xavier University. Massey, currently an assistant coach at St. Bonaventure, is a member of the Elkhart County Sports Hall of Fame and lives in Olean, N.Y.
• Dave Singell — Singell was hired on as a sixth grade teacher at Concord in 1976 and began coaching high school softball in 1981. He compiled an overall record of 148-67 (.688) in 10 years as the head coach. While head coach, Concord softball made two appearances in the state finals. Singell was named the 1985 State Softball Coach of the Year. Singell retired from coaching in 1990 and from teaching in 1991. He currently lives in Benton Harbor, Mich.
The cash bar at Matterhorn opens at 6:30 p.m., and the dinner and induction ceremony will begin at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 and should be purchased or reserved in the Concord athletic office through Tuesday.