Classes are in session at Elkhart Memorial High School Wednesday morning, April 30, after crews worked overnight to restore power that was lost when a fire sparked at the school just before 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 29.
American Electric Power equipment in a concrete room at the school caught fire just before 5 p.m.
No one was reported injured by Elkhart Community Schools spokeswoman Shawn Hannon, and there's no damage to the inside of the school.
Power was lost at the school and in the educational resources center and all school activities for the evening were cancelled. Power was restored to the educational resources center around 6:30 p.m., where a planned school board meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday was moved to.
Hannon said power was restored to Elkhart Memorial around 5 a.m.
"I understand that AEP crews and ECS maintenance staff deserve a lot of credit," Hannon said in an email Wednesday morning, "as they worked into the early morning hours to restore electrical service to Elkhart Memorial."