Two-term incumbent Frank Lucchese will square off against highway department engineer Rick Easton in the upcoming May primaries for the District 1 seat on the Elkhart Board of County Commissioners.
District 1 covers the townships of Concord and Jefferson 87 and 118. Both candidates are Republicans.
The base pay for commissioners in 2014 is $40,034, according to Elkhart County Human Resources. They each get additional pay ranging from $600 to $1,440 for additional duties, depending on what boards and committees they serve on.
There are three county commissioner seats in Elkhart County. Together they serve as both the executive and legislative body of county government. The summary of roles and responsibilities supplied by the county describes the board as "collectively the equivalent of the mayor and board of works."
Their responsibilities and duties include (but aren't limited to):
- All county-owned real and personal property
- The receipt of bids and the authorization of contracts
- The supervision, construction and maintenance of all roads and bridges
- Oversight of election functions
- Preparing their portion of the annual budget
- The adoption and maintenance of zoning, roadway development and building construction standards
Pitch and Pull event on Dyngus Day draws 15 Elkhart County candidates, for everything from state representative to judge
Here's what's happening at the Pitch and Pull candidates forum
Incumbent Lucchese faces county engineer in commissioner race
Highway department employee challenges Lucchese for county commissioner seat