GOSHEN — Elkhart County is the latest place in Indiana to file a plan to use vote centers for the May primary elections.
County Clerk Wendy Hudson traveled to Indianapolis on Friday, Feb. 28, to file the county’s vote center plan with the Indiana Election Division. Vote centers will no longer require registered voters to cast ballots at polling locations based on their home address. Instead, voters will be able to go to any one of 25 vote centers set up throughout the county.
There will be 10 voter centers in Elkhart, seven in Goshen, two in Bristol and one each in Dunlap, New Paris, Millersburg, Middlebury, Nappanee and Wakarusa. All 25 locations will be open for the May primary election. The county clerk’s office has contacted the sheriff’s department about offering extra security for the two vote center locations at schools, North Side Gym, 300 Lawrence St., Elkhart, and Jimtown High School, 59021 C.R. 3, Elkhart.
“It’s exciting to be moving forward,” county commissioner Frank Lucchese said Monday, March 3.
ELKHART COUNTY VOTE CENTER LOCATIONS
- Trinity United Methodist Church, 2715 E. Jackson St.
- Omega Center and Abundant Life Ministries, 2130 Middlebury St. (on orange trolley route)
- St. James AME Church, 122 Dr. Martin Luther King Drive (on green, red and orange trolley routes)
- River of Life Community Church, 2626 Prairie St. (on green and orange trolley routes)
- Calvary Assembly of God, 1010 E. Mishawaka Road (on orange trolley route)
- Calvary United Methodist Church, 2222 W. Indiana Ave. (on green trolley route)
- New Hope United Methodist Church, 28765 C.R. 4
- Tolson Center, 1320 Benham Ave. (on red trolley route)
- North Side Gym, 300 Lawrence St. (on blue trolley route)
- Jimtown High School Gym, 59021 C.R. 3
- Grace Community Church, 20076 C.R. 36
- Faith United Methodist Church, 22045 C.R. 18 (on orange trolley route)
- Maple City Chapel, 2015 Lincolnway East (on red trolley route)
- Salvation Army, 1013 N. Main St.
- Trinity Lutheran Church, 202 S. Greene Road
- Greencroft Senior Center, 1721 Greencroft Blvd. (on red trolley route)
- Pleasant View Mennonite Church, 58529 C.R. 23
- Bristol United Methodist Church, 201 S. Division St.
- First Baptist Church, 53953 C.R. 17
- Elkhart County Public Services Building, 4230 Elkhart Road (on red trolley route)
- New Paris Missionary Church, 67621 S.R. 15
- Millersburg Fire Station, 500 Carriage Lane
- Middlebury Town Hall, 418 N. Main St.
- Nappanee First Brethren Church, 1600 N. Main St.
- Bible Baptist Church, 205 E. Waterford St.
Follow Elkhart Truth reporter Angelle Barbazon on Twitter at @tweetangelle.