Friday, October 24, 2014
Loading...





Perry campaign funds to cover future legal costs

Texas Gov. Rick Perry says he'll use campaign funds, not state money, to fight indictment

Posted on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Republican Texas Gov. Rick Perry says any future legal bills he incurs fighting two felony indictments will be paid for with campaign funds, not taxpayer dollars.

Perry has spent $80,000 in public funds on the case so far, and has retained a high-powered team of attorneys moving forward.

But spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said Thursday that further legal bills would come out of campaign coffers. She says she didn’t know if there are plans to reimburse the state for Perry’s past legal expenses.

The governor isn’t seeking re-election, but may run again for president in 2016. As of June 30, he had $4 million-plus in campaign funds.

Perry was indicted last week by a grand jury in Austin on coercion and official oppression. He calls the case a political ploy.


Recommended for You


 In this photo taken on Thursday, Oct. 16, 2014, lifelong Mississippi resident Logenvia Morris poses at her home in  Jackson, Miss., next to her prize possession, the first Mississippi game jersey her son Aaron Morris wore for the football team. Morris, who goes to every football game to cheer for her son, said the offensive lineman had to overcome his grandfather’s deep skepticism about whether black students are truly welcome at the university. The warm welcome extended to both mother and son during a recruiting visit by students and players are among the main reasons the Morris family were quick to join the Ole Miss family. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Posted 44 minutes ago
 FILE - In this Oct. 6, 2014, file photo, Army soldiers search Iraqis amid tight security during Eid al-Adha celebrations in Baghdad, Iraq. Iraq’s fractured army has begun to regroup and stage modest, localized attacks on the Islamic State militants who routed them last spring and summer, but they are unlikely to be ready to launch a major counteroffensive for many months, senior U.S. military officials said Thursday. (AP Photo/Karim Kadim, File)

Posted 54 minutes ago
 In this Oct. 15, 2014, photo, Daniel DeLorenzi, director of security and safety services at MetLife Stadium, stands near monitors for security cameras in the command center at the stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^