Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Loading...



Recommended For You



Hernandez cousin pleads guilty to contempt charge

Hernandez cousin pleads guilty in contempt case, gets 2 years of probation with confinement
Posted on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:43 a.m.

FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — A cousin of ex-New England Patriots player Aaron Hernandez was spared jail time only because of her advanced cancer, a judge said Tuesday in sentencing her to two years of probation.

Tanya Singleton pleaded guilty to refusing to testify before a grand jury even though she had been granted immunity.

“Ms. Singleton’s health is the only reason she is not being placed in jail,” Fall River Superior Court Judge E. Susan Garsh said. County jail officials made it clear they could not meet Singleton’s medical needs, the judge said.

Singleton, 38, of Bristol, Connecticut, is subject to GPS monitoring for the entire probationary period, the first year of which must be spent confined to her home, except for medical and legal appointments. She also was ordered to have no contact with Hernandez, any other suspects or witnesses, except for her father, sister and two close friends.

Singleton had refused to testify before a grand jury investigating the July 2013 slaying of Odin Lloyd.

Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough. He was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee.

Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to killing Lloyd and is being held without bail. He also has pleaded not guilty in the 2012 killings of two men in Boston.

Singleton, who has been undergoing treatment for a recurrence of breast cancer, pleaded guilty to criminal contempt and had faced up to 2 1/2 years in jail.

“Ms. Singleton’s willful conduct was an assault on the rule of law,” Garsh said.

The sentence was in line with what prosecutors requested.

Singleton “perverted her sense of loyalty” and had an “utter disdain” of the legal process in trying to protect Hernandez, prosecutor William McCauley said, noting that she had received financial assistance from her NFL star cousin.

She put Hernandez ahead of her children, who were ages 4 and 7 at the time, McCauley said, even arranging for their care, knowing she risked imprisonment.

Singleton’s attorney, E. Peter Parker, asked for a year of home confinement.

“She chose family loyalty ... over civic duties,” a choice most people would make under similar circumstances, Parker said.

Prosecutors said Singleton has material information about Hernandez and the movements of his friends Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, who both pleaded not guilty to murder and accessory charges in the Lloyd killing.

Singleton also refused to testify in the Boston double killing case and is facing another contempt charge to which she intends to plead guilty.





Posted 21 minutes ago
 A police car drives past the entrance to the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014.  A patient in the hospital is showing signs of the Ebola virus and is being kept in strict isolation with test results pending, hospital officials said Monday. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Posted 31 minutes ago
 FILE -- In this Aug. 27, 2014 file photo, Richard Martinez, right, whose son, Christopher Ross Michaels-Martinez was killed in a shooting spree in Isle Vista last May, hugs State Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara, as Bob Weiss, whose daughter Veronika, whose daughter was also killed in the same shooting spree, hugs, Assemblywoman Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, after the bill they carried, that allows family members to ask a judge to remove firearms from a relative who appears to pose a threat was approved by the Senate in Sacramento, Calif. Gov Jerry Brown signed the measure, AB1014, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2014, that will allow law enforcement and immediate family members to seek are restraining order removing fire arms for 21 days. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli,file)

Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^