Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Loading...





Russian accused of hacking is arraigned in Seattle

Russian accused of hacking US businesses' computers pleads not guilty to 29 charges

Posted on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Aug. 8, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

SEATTLE (AP) — A Russian lawmaker’s son accused of hacking computers at hundreds of U.S. businesses and stealing credit card information pleaded not guilty to 29 charges Friday.

U.S. District Judge John L. Weinberg ordered Roman Seleznev, of Vladivostok, Russia, held without bail until a hearing Aug. 16 to consider his custody status. His trial has been set to begin Oct. 6.

A 2011 grand jury indictment alleges Seleznev stole more than 200,000 credit card numbers and sold more than 140,000 of them, generating more than $2 million in profits. Some of the victims are in Seattle, where the investigation was centered and an indictment was filed.

Seleznev was arrested last month at an airport in the Maldives and flown to the U.S. territory of Guam, where another federal judge sent him to Seattle to face the charges.

The Russian Foreign Ministry has accused the U.S. government of kidnapping Seleznev.

At the hearing Friday, he spoke through an interpreter, mostly answering “yes” or “no” to the judge’s questions. When asked if he understood the charges against him, Seleznev said, “I understand all of it, but all of it is untrue.”

Court documents say the scheme involved hacking into computers that run point-of-sale terminals in businesses and installing malware to capture credit card numbers. Most of the companies affected between October 2009 and February 2011 were small businesses like pizza parlors.

In a statement issued after Friday’s hearing, U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan said distance is not an effective strategy for avoiding prosecution.

“Cyber-criminals should take heed: Distance will not protect you from the reach of justice. We will investigate, we will locate, and we will bring foreign hackers to stand trial,” Durkan said.

The 29 charges against Seleznev comprise five counts of bank fraud, eight counts of intentionally causing damage to a protected computer, eight counts of obtaining information from a protected computer without authorization, one count of possession of 15 or more stolen credit card numbers with intent to defraud, two counts of trafficking in those stolen numbers, and five counts of aggravated identify theft.

The charges carry a variety of potential penalties, with some counts punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Seleznev also is charged in a 2012 indictment filed in Nevada that accuses him of participating in a racketeer-influenced corrupt organization, conspiracy and possessing stolen credit card number. He is one of 55 defendants in that case.


Recommended for You


 FILE - In this Feb. 4, 2008, file photo, designer Oscar de la Renta is applauded after the presentation of his fall 2008 collection during Fashion Week in New York. The designer, who died Monday, Oct. 20, 2014, at 82, shaped American couture half a century ago when it emerged as a serious rival to European fashion designers. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

Posted 23 minutes ago
 Fairfax County Commonwealth's Attorney Ray Morrogh, left, with Fairfax City Police Chief Carl Pardiny, speaks to reporters during a news conference in front of the Fairfax City Police station in Fairfax, Va., Monday, Oct. 20, 2014. The suspect in the disappearance of a University of Virginia student was charged Monday with abducting and raping a woman in suburban Washington, in 2005. The indictment against Jesse L. Matthew Jr. was handed up by a Circuit Court grand jury in Fairfax County and includes a charge of attempted capital murder, according to the indictment. Matthew, 32, is being held in Charlottesville, Va., on a charge related to the Sept. 13 disappearance of Hannah Graham, an 18-year-old from northern Virginia.  (AP Photo/Matthew Barakat)

Posted 1 hour ago
 FILE - In this Oct. 16, 2014, file photo, Registered nurse Keene Roadman, stands fully dressed in personal protective equipment during a training class at the Rush University Medical Center, in Chicago. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines Monday, Oct. 20, for how health workers should gear up to treat Ebola patients. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast, File)

Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^