Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. THREE-DAY MIDEAST TRUCE EXPIRES
Gaza militants and Israeli military exchange fire as negotiations in Cairo on a permanent cease-fire and a new border deal hit a deadlock.
2. “AMERICA IS COMING TO HELP”
Obama authorizes U.S. airstrikes if necessary and airdrops of humanitarian aid in northern Iraq to counter advancing Islamic militants.
3. WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION URGES EXTRAORDINARY RESPONSE TO STOP EBOLA SPREAD
Like Polio and Swine Flu before it, the health agency declares the outbreak in West Africa to be an international public health emergency.
4. ISELLE DOWNGRADED TO TROPICAL STORM
Iselle would be the first tropical storm to hit the state in 22 years, and a hurricane — Julio — is following in its path.
5. HOW CRASHES ARE IMPACTING A CARRIER
After twin disasters this year, Malaysia’s state investment company plans to make Malaysia Airlines fully government owned.
6. SENATOR ABANDONS RE-ELECTION CAMPAIGN
John Walsh, a Democrat from Montana, drops out of the race amid allegations that he plagiarized a college paper.
7. HOMEOWNER CONVICTED OF KILLING UNARMED WOMAN
Jurors reject the claim of a suburban Detroit man who says he feared for his life when he heard the woman pounding on his door in the middle of the night.
8. WHY GM IS RECALLING SUVs FOR THIRD TIME
Water can get into the driver’s side power window control switch and cause a short. The switches can even overheat and catch fire.
9. PISTORIUS TRIAL DOWN TO CLOSING ARGUMENTS
The defense lawyer in the double-amputee runner’s murder trial says police may have mishandled evidence where the shooting happened.
10. WHERE TIGER WOODS STANDS IN FINAL MAJOR
Declaring his round not “very good,” the 14-time major winner shoots a 74 at the PGA Championship at Valhalla, nine shots behind leader Lee Westwood.