Saturday, April 30, 2016

This Thursday, July 10, 2014 photo provided by the Grand Teton National Park shows a bus that flipped on its side in Grand Teton National Park. Officials say about two dozen people were taken to a hospital after a bus flipped on its side. Authorities say no other vehicles were involved. It wasn't clear who owned the bus or whether it was on a tour. (AP Photo/Michael Nash, Grand Teton National Park) (Michael Nash)
3 remain hospitalized after Grand Teton bus crash
3 people remain hospitalized after tourist bus flips on its side in Grand Teton National Park

Posted on July 12, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on July 12, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) — Three people injured when a tourist bus flipped on its side while traveling through Grand Teton National Park remained in the hospital Saturday.

Two people were being treated at the Eastern Idaho Medical Center in Idaho Falls, Idaho, where they were listed in fair condition Saturday, hospital spokesman Karen Connelly said.

Another person remained at St. John’s Medical Center in Jackson, Wyoming, in good condition, Connelly said. “Luckily, clinically they’re all going to be OK,” she said.

The bus was carrying 26 tourists and a driver when the accident occurred about 4:10 p.m. Thursday. The bus was traveling on U.S. 89 to Yellowstone National Park.

The 33-foot-long bus went off the pavement and the driver overcorrected, causing the bus to flip on its side and slide, authorities said.

Park spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said Friday that most of the passengers were from China. She didn’t know what other countries the passengers might be from but said all were from Asia.

The bus belonged to Salt Lake City-based Roaming America Travel Inc., Skaggs said. Messages left with the company weren’t immediately returned Saturday.

It’s not uncommon for bus companies to rent their vehicles to tour companies, but it’s unclear whether that was the case in Thursday’s accident, Skaggs said.

No citations have been issued, but the accident remains under investigation, she said.

Skaggs said she had no information on whether the tour continued or whether it was disbanded.

Connelly said the last she heard on Friday was that the group hadn’t decided what to do next but the group had a new bus to use.