Thursday, October 23, 2014
Loading...





Judge approves NFL concussion settlement

Judge approves NFL concussion settlement involving thousands of former players

Posted on July 7, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on July 7, 2014 at 4:43 p.m.

A federal judge on Monday granted preliminary approval to a landmark deal that would compensate thousands of former NFL players for concussion-related claims.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia came about two weeks after the NFL agreed to remove a $675 million cap on damages. Brody had previously questioned whether that would be enough money to pay all claims.

“A class action settlement that offers prompt relief is superior to the likely alternative — years of expensive, difficult, and uncertain litigation, with no assurance of recovery, while retired players’ physical and mental conditions continue to deteriorate,” Brody wrote.

More than 4,500 former players have filed suit, some accusing the league of fraud for its handling of concussions. They include former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett and Super Bowl-winning Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon, who suffers from dementia.

The settlement is designed to last at least 65 years and give $1 million or more to retirees who develop Lou Gehrig’s disease and other profound neurological problems.

“This is an extraordinary settlement for retired NFL players and their families — from those who suffer with neuro-cognitive illnesses today, to those who are currently healthy but fear they may develop symptoms decades into the future,” plaintiffs’ attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement.

NFL senior vice president Anastasia Danias said in a statement that the league was “grateful to Judge Brody for her guidance and her thoughtful analysis of the issues as reflected in the comprehensive opinion she issued today.”

The original settlement included $675 million for compensatory claims for players with neurological symptoms, $75 million for baseline testing and $10 million for medical research and education. The NFL would also pay an additional $112 million to the players’ lawyers, for a total payout of more than $870 million.

The revised settlement eliminates the cap on overall damage claims but retains a payout formula for individual retirees that considers their age and illness. A young retiree with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease, would receive $5 million, a 50-year-old with Alzheimer’s disease would get $1.6 million and an 80-year-old with early dementia would get $25,000.

Even with the cap removed, both sides said they believe the NFL will spend no more than about $675 million on damage claims by ex-players.

Critics of the deal have said the league, with annual revenues approaching $10 billion, was getting off lightly. They could raise objections at a fairness hearing scheduled for Nov. 19, and ultimately opt out of the settlement.

However, they would then face the risk of a protracted legal fight, and would have to prove any injuries were caused by NFL concussions and not any suffered in youth or college sports. The proposed NFL settlement had originally barred claimants from seeking a separate settlement against the NCAA, but that clause has been removed. A separate lawsuit is pending against the NCAA in Illinois.

“I think the judge has forced them to make improvements,” said University of Richmond law professor Carl Tobias, who teaches product liability law. “I think she always felt she had an obligation to the players, to be sure they were getting a fair deal ... given the treatment to date.”

The settlement would be capped at $4 million on behalf of players diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after their deaths, such as San Diego star Junior Seau or Pro Bowler Dave Duerson. Both of their families, through lawyers, have expressed concerns about the settlement. Duerson died at age 50. A family lawyer has called their projected $2.2 million award to the family “not adequate.”


Recommended for You


 This Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, photo shows the apartment complex in Aurora, Colo., which police say is the home of one of the three teenage girls who, according to U.S. authorities, were en route to join the Islamic State group in Syria when they were stopped at an airport in Germany. The two sisters, ages 17 and 15, and their 16-year-old friend have been reunited with their families in Colorado, according to an FBI spokeswoman. (AP Photo/Brennan Linsley)

Posted 1 hour ago
 FILE - In this Oct. 9, 2014, file photo, Navajo presidential candidate Chris Deschene speaks to supporters in Window Rock, Ariz. Deschene has lost another round in a language fluency dispute, all but ending his bid for office. The tribe's high court on Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, upheld a ruling from a lower court that said Deschene is not qualified to seek the top elected post because he doesn't speak fluent Navajo. (AP Photo/Felicia Fonseca, File)

Posted 1 hour ago
 Rob Olson of Erkelens & Olsen Auctioneers displays Rulon Gardner's memorabilia at his auction house Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014, in Salt Lake City. Mementos from the career of Olympic hero Rulon Gardner, including a USA Wrestling robe and a commemorative ring, will be auctioned off Saturday Oct. 25, 2014 in Salt Lake City. Next to it are dozens of medals the Greco-Roman wrestler won during his career, countless knives and watches. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^