Friday, August 29, 2014
Loading...





Fire forces evacuation of southwest Michigan hotel

Overheated TV causes fire in southwestern Michigan hotel, forcing evacuation of 37 visitors
Posted on July 13, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on July 13, 2014 at 12:10 p.m.

NEW BUFFALO TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Authorities in southwestern Michigan say an electrical fire broke out at a hotel, injuring two women and forcing dozens of visitors to evacuate their rooms.

The Berrien County sheriff’s department says the fire was reported about 8:40 a.m. Sunday at O’Brien Inn & Resort. It’s in New Buffalo Township, south of New Buffalo and 1 ½ miles north of the Indiana state line.

The sheriff’s department says the hotel clerk saw smoke coming from under the door of a vacant room. It says deputies and the clerk warned all 37 occupants, and they made it out safely.

A sheriff’s department statement says paramedics treated women ages 74 and 53 for smoke inhalation.

The department says the fire apparently started when a TV overheated. There’s no immediate damage estimate.




Back to top ^