Saturday, October 25, 2014
Loading...





No injuries in Saturday evening attic fire in Elkhart

Three people escaped unharmed after an electrical problem caused a fire the attic of an Elkhart home Saturday night.

Posted on Aug. 24, 2014 at 7:52 a.m.

 

Three people escaped unharmed after an electrical problem caused a fire the attic of an Elkhart home Saturday night.

Residents of 412 W. Cleveland Ave. called 911 around 11:20 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23 when they smelled smoke in the home, according to an Elkhart Fire Department news release.

When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke coming from an attic window. They opened the ceiling of the home and found the insulation in the rafters was on fire.

The fire was under control by 11:50 p.m., according to the release.

Investigators determined that the fire was started by an electrical problem.

The home sustained water damage and part of the drywall had to be removed to access the fire. 

The Elkhart County chapter of the American Red Cross provided the home’s residents with a place to stay Saturday night.

Recommended for You


Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Back to top ^