Saturday, November 1, 2014
Loading...





House destroyed, dog killed in Sunday morning fire in South Bend

A South Bend family’s home was destroyed in a fire the morning of Sunday, August 3. 

Posted on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:25 p.m.

A South Bend family’s home was lost to flames early Sunday morning, August 3, reported WSBT.

Shane and Lynn Richards, as well as four sons ages 2 to 16 and Shane’s 75-year-old grandmother, escaped the fire that destroyed their entire house in the 5000 block of Main St. around 6 a.m. A candle or incense in their son’s bedroom may have started the blaze, the couple told WSBT.

The Richards’ dog, Kip, was killed in the fire.

Shane, a former South Bend firefighter, told WSBT the house went up in flames in mere minutes. Fire investigators say the home is not salvageable, and insurance will not cover all of the family’s losses.

The family isn’t sure what they will do next.

Donations can be sent to Cathedral of Saint James on 117. N. Lafayette in South Bend. Contact the cathedral at 232-4837.

For clothing donations, the family needs the following sizes: Boys’ 3T, 6/7 and 14 Husky, men’s pants sizes 29 and 38, medium and XL shirts, women’s 18 and 12/14 in pants, medium, large and 1X shirts.

Read the full story on WSBT’s website.

Recommended for You


Back to top ^