GOSHEN — Three men facing multiple charges in connection with a home invasion in Goshen last year could still have a joint trial after the court denied one of the defendant’s request to sever his case.
Montrail Williams, 20; Armando Gonzalez, 18; and Davon Crenshaw, 19; were charged with robbery, burglary, criminal confinement and conspiracy to commit a burglary in connection with a November 2013 home invasion. Each defendant faces up to 80 years in prison if convicted.
During a hearing on Thursday, June 26, the three co-defendants’ attorneys asked the court to sever each of their clients’ case, but the judge asked them to file a written motion.
Williams’ attorney filed a written motion to get the case severed, but the judge denied the request. The attorneys for Gonzalez and Crenshaw said during a hearing Thursday, July 31, they planned to filed written motions as well.
A total of five men were charged in connection to the home invasion, but only Williams, Gonzalez and Crenshaw have a joint case. Matthew R. Allen, 19, and Antoine A. McDuffie, 21, were charged with the same counts. McDuffie pleaded guilty to his charges in early March and was sentenced to 44 years in prison.
During McDuffie’s sentencing hearing, attorneys gave the court more details about the home invasion.
Fay Schwartz, McDuffie’s attorney, told the court the group planned to break into the home and wore masks and pointed flashlights at the victims in an attempt to get money.
Deputy prosecuting attorney David Francisco added that the men also brought guns, two of which were loaded, into the house and pointed them at the victims.
The victims in the house were two women, one who was pregnant, and two children. Francisco said the men tied up the pregnant woman and put her in a corner.
The trial for Crenshaw, Gonzalez and Williams is currently scheduled for Feb. 2, 2015.
Follow Elkhart Truth reporter Sharon Hernandez on Twitter at @Sharon_HT