Elkhart County law enforcement will increase efforts to deter impaired driving this Fourth of July holiday.
The Elkhart County Traffic Safety Partnership plans to increase patrols throughout the weekend, according to a Citizen Observer alert. Additionally, there will be a DUI checkpoint on the north side of Elkhart Friday evening, July 4.
In the alert, Elkhart County Undersheriff Sean Holmes recommended the following tips for a safe weekend:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
- Designate a sober driver before drinking and leave your car keys at home.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, public transportation or call a sober friend or family member.
- Contact police if you see a drunk driver on the road. Stay on the line until asked to hang up.
- If you see somebody about to drive drunk, take his or her keys and help that person make other arrangements.
For more information or to ask a question, contact Holmes at firstname.lastname@example.org.