Monday, July 28, 2014
Loading...





Fire on utility pole spreads to Elkhart house

A blaze that started on a utility pole spread to a house.

Posted on May 15, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

ELKHART — Firefighters inspected several homes in a neighborhood after one of the houses caught fire from a power line Thursday morning, May 15. 

Firefighters were called to the scene around 10:30 a.m. for a report of wires arcing along an alley behind houses on Stevens Avenue.

A firefighter at the scene said a line attached to the pole fell near several houses, setting the house at 2131 Stevens Avenue on fire. The fire was contained to the back exterior of the home and quickly extinguished, battalion chief Wes Johnson said.

A woman and two children were home at the time were uninjured, firefighters said.

Johnson said firefighters went through 15 houses in the area to make sure there were no additional fires.

The firefighters went door-to-door asking residents to look for smoke in the home and checking the electric meter boxes, Johnson said.

An Indiana Michigan Power employee was at the scene putting yellow tape around the pole. Firefighters said NIPSCO and Comcast were also called to the scene. 

A spokesman with I&M said seven customers were left without power for a short time while workers took the lines down to make repairs.

Elkhart Truth reporter Sharon Hernandez on Twitter contributed to this report.

 




Back to top ^