A 13-year-old boy was taken to a hospital in LaPorte over the weekend after police say he smoked synthetic marijuana and was experiencing hallucinations.
Emergency responders were called to an apartment on Andrew Avenue in LaPorte for a drug overdose and found the boy, barefoot and hallucinating, a few blocks away from his home, The Elkhart Truth's news partners WNDU reported.
“The 13-year-old had smoked synthetic marijuana, and his heart was racing,” Capt. Tom Heath of the LaPorte Police Department told WNDU.
Despite being banned in Indiana in 2011, Capt. Phil Trent with the South Bend Police Department said it's being made and sold in Michiana.
It's sometimes sold as incense or potpourri.
And while it looks similar to marijuana, synthetic marijuana has much worse side effects, which include hallucinations, seizures, rapid heart rate and kidney damage, the Indiana Attorney General's website said.
Have you ever seen synthetic marijuana sold in a store? Do you know anyone who's used it? Share your experience in the comments below.