Elkhart Truth Logo
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Loading...





Officials say deadly Milford fire was accidental

Officials found electrical malfunction in wiring at the scene of the fire. 



Posted on Feb. 17, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

MILFORD — Offiials have ruled a fire that killed two people inside a Milford body shop Feb. 13 accidental.

According to a press release from the Kosciusko County Sheriff's Department, the fire was started in the ceiling of the work bay and spread throughout the structure.

The Kosciusko County Fire Investigation Team and the Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office investigated the fire and found an electrical malfunction in the wiring supplying power to a ceiling light.

Five fire departments responded at about 7:22 a.m. to Medina's Body Shop, 310 N. Higbee Street, for reports of a fire. The blaze was under control at about 11:15 a.m.

A family member told crews about the victims inside the building, but the fire prevented them from getting to the victims soon enough.

One of the victims was identified Sunday as Annalu Nunez. It was determined she died of smoke inhalation.

Confirmation of the male's identity is pending DNA testing.



Back to top ^