Thursday, December 25, 2014
Loading...





Elkhart police investigating house fire started by meth lab

A cat died during a house fire that was caused by an active methamphetamine lab.

Posted on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

ELKHART — Police are investigating a house fire that left one cat dead. The fire was started by a methamphetamine lab.

According to a report from the Elkhart Fire Department, fire crews responded to 1623 Garden Street at about 11 p.m Thursday, Jan. 30.

When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the north side windows of the house. When they entered the house they found an active meth lab in the bathtub.

The fire was out after about 30 minutes. The bathroom on the main floor received heavy heat damage. A basement apartment in the same building had heavy water damage. The fire department reported the fire caused $30,000 damage to the building valued at $70,000.

A cat was later found in the house dead from smoke inhalation.

No injuries were reported from the fire. The Elkhart Police Department's Clandestine Crime Lab Team was called to the scene. No one was arrested Thursday night, but the incident is still under investigation, according to Sgt. Bryan Schroth.

All the occupants of the house were displaced because the structure was deemed uninhabitable.


Recommended for You


Back to top ^