Friday, October 24, 2014
Loading...





Elkhart police officers will not face criminal charges in Nov. 10 shooting

A grand jury decided legal action against three officers involved in the fatal shooting of Christopher Ryckeart, 31, on Nov. 10, 2013 isn't necessary. The officers have been on paid leave since the incident.

Posted on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:13 p.m.

ELKHART — A grand jury decided not to issue indictments against three Elkhart police officers who fatally shot a man during a chase last year.

According to a news release from the Elkhart County Prosecutor's Office, the six-member grand jury on Monday, Jan. 27, considered evidence gathered by the Indiana State Police in the death of 31-year-old Christopher Ryckeart and returned a verdict of "no bill."

The "no bill" verdict means no criminal charges will be filed against any of the three officers for their conduct during the shooting.

According to Indiana State Police, on Nov. 10, 2013, Ryckeart led police on a chase that took officers into Michigan and then back to Elkhart.

State police said Elkhart officers had attempted to stop a blue and gray 1995 Chevrolet pickup truck Ryckeart was driving for a violation. The truck was also reported stolen.

The chase, which started at about 8 p.m. and lasted more than 40 minutes, ended in the area of Marion and Fourth streets.

Ryckeart was allegedly backing his truck into the path of officers as they attempted to place him in custody after a vehicle pursuit. 

The Elkhart Police Department identified the officers involved as Ptlm. Dan Mayer, Cpl. Jason Ray, and Ptlm. Jason Gruber.

Elkhart County Coroner John White said Ryckeart died of multiple gunshot wounds.


Recommended for You


Back to top ^