Two injured after car crashed into Goshen Family Dentistry

A man was arrested for driving under the influence after he crashed his car against Goshen Family Dentistry Monday afternoon.
Posted on Dec. 10, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:43 p.m.

GOSHEN — Two people were injured and one of them was taken to the hospital Monday afternoon, Dec. 9, when a car crashed into a dentistry office.

Cheryl Carlton Deal and Mark Deal were inside Goshen Family Dentistry, 1625 Sunnyfield Drive, when a car driven by Gary Hurst, 34, of Goshen, crashed into the building.

According to a crash report from the Goshen Police Department, Hurst was driving south in the 1600 block of Indiana Avenue when he applied his car’s brakes, driving off the roadway and hitting the dentistry building.

Police and EMS units were dispatched to the scene of the crash at about 1:30 p.m.

Based on their assessment of the damage at the scene, police officers determined Hurst’s car left the roadway about 120 feet north from Sunnyfield Drive, traveling southeast through lawns before hitting the building. The car rolled on its roof at least once before coming to rest on its tires.

Carlton Deal said she and her husband were in his office having lunch when the car hit the building.

“I remember hearing a loud bang, a popping sound, and then all of a sudden the glass window was coming in toward me and I put my head down,” she said.

Carlton Deal and her husband ran from outside to see what had happened and to avoid further injuries. The car did not go into the building, but it hit an air conditioning unit.

“We think the car impacted the air conditioning unit and the pressure caused the window to explode,” Carlton Deal said.

Deal was taken to the hospital with a bruise on her head. Mark Deal suffered several small cuts to his head and hands.

Carlton Deal said she and her husband are just thankful to be alive.

“There were cabinets on either side of the window that came down and I don’t know how they didn’t hit my husband.”

Hurst told police he was talking on his cell phone and was distracted when he went off the roadway. He gave a certified breath test of .13 percent blood alcohol content. He was not injured as a result of the crash.

Hurst was arrested on a preliminary charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. No formal charges had been filed Tuesday afternoon.

Recommended for You

Back to top ^