Higher gas readings lead to evacuations
GOSHEN — Police and fire departments were dispatched to downtown Goshen early Friday afternoon on reports of a natural gas leak for the second time in four days.
The area around 212 W. Washington St. was evacuated after calls of a gas leak came in shortly after noon Friday, Nov. 29.
Angie Nelson, a public affairs manager with NIPSCO, said the crews were working to remove gas trapped underground from a gas leak earlier this week when they found higher gas readings than expected.
Lt. Eric Stutzman, of the Goshen Fire Department, said all of the buildings in the 200 block of West Washinton Street were evacuated as a safety precaution.
People living in that block were also asked to leave their homes while NIPSCO worked to lower gas levels in the area.
Power was cut to that block as well.
Third Street was closed between Lincoln and Main, and Washington was closed between Third and Second.
Residents were allowed back into the area and power was restored around 6:30 p.m. Friday.
The Goshen Fire Department, Goshen Police Department and the Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) responded to the 200 block West Washington Street Tuesday afternoon on reports of a natural gas leak.
Streets in the downtown area, including Washington, Second and Third streets, were shut down as a result of the leak on Tuesday. Homes and businesses within a one-block radius were evacuated.
Angie Nelson, a public affairs manager with NIPSCO, said the gas leak was caused when a contractor hit a 2-inch main.
Nelson said the company closed down a portion of West Washington between Second and Third streets in order to extract gas that had migrated underneath the street after Tuesday’s leak.