Homeowner who shot intruder in felony murder trial testifies

The homeowner who shot and killed one of the men in an attempted burglary Oct. 3, 2012, testified.
Posted on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:52 p.m.

GOSHEN — The homeowner who shot and killed one of the intruders of his house during a deadly attempted burglary Oct. 3, 2012, was called to testify in a trial for three teens charged with felony murder.

It’s the fourth day of a joint trial for Blake Layman, 17; Levi Sparks, 18; and Anthony Sharp, 19. Each one of the teens faces up to 65 years in prison if convicted.

At about 1215 p.m. the prosecutors rested their case. Judge Terry Shewmaker then called for a lunch break.

Before that, Rodney Scott, the homeowner who shot and killed Danzele Johnson, 21, was called by chief prosecuting attorney Vicki Becker to testify.

Scott had just woken up from a nap inside his home the afternoon of Oct. 3, 2012, when he heard a loud “boom,” he told the court.

“My whole house just shook,” he said. “I thought, what in the world was that?”

Shortly after, Scott heard a second “boom,” by then he grabbed his cell phone. When he heard a third loud “boom,” Scott grabbed a handgun he had scarcely used in his life, loaded it and walked out his bedroom.

Scott told jurors he walked lightly from his bedroom to the stairs, but then he ran down the stairs as loud as he possibly could hoping he would scare any possible intruders away.

From the bottom of his stairs, Scott walked through his living room into his dining room and saw on one side two young men at the doorway of a bedroom, and on the other side another person running through the kitchen and out the back door.

The moment he saw someone, Scott opened fire.

From the shots Scott fired, one hit and killed Johnson and another one hit Layman in the leg.

Scott said he was able to identify Jose Quiroz, 17, as his neighbor from across the street. Quiroz, Layman and Johnson ran into a closet in the bedroom on the first floor. Johnson died in the closet.

When police arrived at the scene, officers arrested Scott and took him to the police department for questioning.

Scott told the jury he didn’t know how he ended up hitting two people, let alone killing one.

“I feel horrible. I don’t sleep very well at all. It’s something that still bothers me.”

Recommended for You

Back to top ^