Fire destroys Elkhart home
ELKHART — A fire destroyed a house Tuesday night, displacing two people who lived there and killing one of their pets.
A dog died and two others were rescued by firefighters from a house fire Tuesday night, April 2.
The Elkhart Fire Department responded around 9:47 p.m. to 718 Middlebury St. to find heavy smoke and fire coming from the front and east side of the house, according to a report from the fire department.
A neighbor, Joe Leazaran, said he was taking out the trash when he saw smoke coming from the chimney and flames on the lower level of the two-story home.
According to the report from the fire department, fire crews had to go into exterior “defensive attack mode,” a term used when it is too dangerous for firefighters to enter a structure, and then moved to tackle the fire from inside the house.
The fire was under control by 10:23 p.m., By the time it was out, it had damaged about 75 percent of the structure. No one was reported injured from the fire.
No one was home at the time the fire started, said Fire Investigator Tony Balzano. Two cars owned by the occupants of the house were not there when the fire started.
Balzano said it is possible the fire started on the first floor in a room on the east side of the houses, but he is still working to find the cause of the fire.