Wednesday, May 4, 2016

ELKHART House receives minimal damage from fire

Posted on April 1, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on April 1, 2013 at 12:42 p.m.

ELKHART — The Elkhart Fire Department responded to a mattress fire on the north side of Elkhart early Monday morning, April 1.

The crew were called around 1:44 p.m. to 2250 Cassopolis St. Lot 90, where upon arrival they found a mattress outside the mobile home that was on fire.

Tony Balzano, chief investigator for the Elkhart Fire Department, said the fire was accidental, and that the homeowner took the mattress outside the residence by the time fire crew had arrived. Five people were in the house when the fire started. No one was reported injured, Balzano said.

The interior of the house, where the mattress was originally located, had a few burnt spots on the floor. Firefighters checked for any possible hotspots after making sure the mattress was completely extinguished.