Friday, April 29, 2016

Curt Billings of 1-800 BoardUp cuts a piece of plywood to six as he boards up a window after a small fire at an apartment complex on Moody Street Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013. No injuries resulted from the fire that started by utility workers outside the building. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard) (AP)
Fire temporarily displaces apartment residents
Posted on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:37 p.m.

ELKHART — The tenants of four Elkhart apartments were temporarily displaced because of a fire that started underneath the apartments Tuesday afternoon.

The Elkhart Fire Department was called around 1 p.m. to 636 Moody Ave. at Rivercrest Apartments for a fire that started in a crawl space under the complex. A subcontractor working near the area hit some phone lines, sparking the fire, said fire investigator Kent Stouder. No one was injured, the fire was under control within minutes and it was contained to the crawlspace, but two apartments were damaged by smoke, and electricity was cut from all four apartments in building D.

The residents in all four apartments were temporarily displaced while the electric company worked to restore their power. The Red Cross was on the scene, providing aid to the families while they waited outside, according to a press release. They also offered overnight shelter to three families. The residents of the fourth apartment stayed with family, said Stouder.