Monday, September 22, 2014


Firefighters from Wakarusa and Harrison Fire Departments responded to a fire at Schrock Excavating, Inc. in Wakarusa after an employee cutting a bolt touched off a fire in the plant Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013. The building was evacuated and no injuries were reported. The fire was extinguished quickly. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard) (AP)

Firefighters from Wakarusa and Harrison Fire Departments responded to a fire at Schrock Excavating, Inc. in Wakarusa after an employee cutting a bolt touched off a fire in the plant Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013. The building was evacuated and no injuries were reported. The fire was extinguished quickly. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard) (AP)
$SUBT_ON$Two fire departments responding to Wakarusa fire$SUBT_OFF$

Posted on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:55 p.m.

WAKARUSA — Wakarusa and Harrison Township Fire Departments responded to Schrock Excavating Inc., 111 Industrial Drive, where a fire began in the east side of the building.

The call was placed around 3:08 p.m. after an employee was cutting bolts with a torch and sparks ignited gasoline in the dump bed of a truck, according to Wakarusa Fire Chief Brian Maurer.

Maurer said the fire was mainly kept to spare pieces of rubber and plastic within the building and was under control quickly.

According to Elkhart County emergency dispatchers, the caller said there were acetylene torches located inside the building as well. Everyone in the building was evacuated and no injuries were reported.