Friday, November 28, 2014
Loading...





Firefighters respond to house fire caused by stove

Firefighters responded to a fire in Cleveland Township Saturday.
Posted on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:25 p.m.

ELKHART — Four fire departments responded to a house fire in Cleveland Township Saturday around noon.

Cleveland Township Fire Department units responded around 12:28 p.m. to 50577 Brooklyn Ave. and found a mobile home on fire.

The fire was under control in less than 20 minutes with the aid of Osolo, Clay and Baugo township fire departments.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Graham said the owner of the house was using a wood-burning stove and the pipe got hot at the attic, with parts of the roof catching on fire.

He said the fire was contained to one room and mostly the front of the mobile home. He said no one was injured by the fire.

Mark Cox, a next-door neighbor, said he saw smoke coming from the roof of the house when he took his dog out. He went next door to get his neighbor and the neighbor’s dog out before the fire spread.

“He was trying to use a hose and was trying to do everything he could to save his house,” Cox said. “This is the only thing he has.”




Recommended for You


Back to top ^