Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Loading...





Barn destroyed, pony killed in fire Thursday night

One animal died in a fire Thursday night in Jefferson Township.
Posted on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:00 a.m.

GOSHEN — No one was injured, but a pony died in a barn fire Thursday night just north of Goshen.

Jefferson Township fire department responded to the fire at 60867 C.R. 15 around 8:20 p.m. where the building was fully engulfed in flames.

Jefferson Township Fire Chief Doug Weldy said no one was inside the barn, expect for the pony and a pot belly pig, which was rescued from the building. The fire was under control around 9 p.m., but the barn was a total loss.

Weldy it’s most likely the fire was started because of an electrical malfunction, but because the building was so damaged, it was difficult to be certain whether that was the cause. He said the age and structure of the barn made the fire light up faster and destroy the building.

“It’s so tough to investigate a fire when so much of (the building) was gone,” Weldy said.

Concord and Elkhart Township Fire Departments acted as mutual aid on the scene.


Recommended for You


Back to top ^