Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Family escapes unharmed after basement catches fire

Posted on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:00 a.m. | Updated on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:20 a.m.

ELKHART — A family escaped their home unharmed after an electrical fire sparked in their basement early Thursday morning.

Elkhart firefighters arrived at 412 Brady Street in response to a structure fire and found a free burning fire in the basement.

The fire was under control at 1:43 a.m. and extinguished before it spread to the rest of the building. Damage on the building is estimated at $20,000.

Two occupants were sleeping in the basement when the fire started. Both occupants were able to escape the basement and alert the rest of their family.