Here's what you need to know to get married in Elkhart County

    Here’s what couples — straight and same-sex — need to do.

    Posted on June 26, 2014 at 8:05 a.m.

    Same-sex couples in Elkhart County have been given the green light to apply for marriage licenses

    If you’re planning on heading to the courthouse with your partner, here are the requirements to apply for a marriage license according to the State of Indiana.

    Where to go: Couples can apply for a marriage license at the Elkhart County Clerk’s Office, located at both the Goshen Courthouse at 101 N. Main St. and the Elkhart Courts Building at 315 S. Second St., Elkhart.

    When to go: All offices are open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

    What to bring: You’ll need to bring one of the following in order to prove your identity and date of birth: 

    • Current valid driver’s license
    • State-issued ID card
    • Passport
    • Birth certificate

    Cost: For in-state residents, the marriage license fee is $18. For out-of-state residents the cost is $60. A certified copy of the marriage license is $2.

    Other details: Couples who don’t marry within 60 days of acquiring their marriage license must apply for a new license before marrying. You’ll also need to provide your social security number, although your card may not be required.

    For more information about, visit www.courts.in.gov or contact the Elkhart County Clerk’s Office online or at 535-6469. 

    Recommended for You

    Back to top ^