Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore's Mount Baldy closes indefinitely after collapsing, burying 6 year old
MICHIGAN CITY – Officials have announced the large sand dune that trapped a 6-year-old boy under 11 feet of sand last summer will remain closed this summer and perhaps into the fall while scientists investigate the its safety, our news partner WNDU reported.
Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore's superintendent, Garry Traynham, said the decision was made after more holes were found in the Mount Baldy dune, WNDU reported. Mount Baldy, its parking lot, trail and beach will be closed, the Chicago Tribune reported.
The Tribune reported scientists are unsure why the holes – two of which have been spotted – and depressions are forming. The holes tend to open for less than 24 hours, then collapse upon themselves, the Tribune reported.
On July 13, 2013, 6-year-old Nathan Woessner was playing on the dune when he became trapped. It took crews using heavy excavating equipment about 3.5 hours to pull him out. Nathan survived, but had to undergo weeks of rehabilitation after the accident, WNDU reported.
Since then, the dunes have been closed. Park officials told WNDU scientists' investigation could last until this fall.