Monday, October 20, 2014
Loading...





State police release name of man killed in Elkhart police shooting Sunday

Indiana State Police released the name Monday of the man who died in a police-action shooting Sunday in Elkhart.

Posted on Sept. 2, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.

ELKHART — Indiana State Police on Monday evening, Sept. 2, released the identity of the man killed Sunday in a police-action shooting on Elkhart’s south side.

The man who died was identified as Jamie I. Benavidez, 27, of Elkhart, according to a written announcement from Sgt. Trent Smith, public information officer for ISP in this area.

State police are investigating the shooting because it involved Elkhart police, Smith said Sunday, Sept. 1.

Officers from the Elkhart Police Department responded Sunday to the 300 block of West Hubbard Avenue to reports of a burglary. Officers were dispatched at about 2:09 p.m., according to a dispatcher at the Elkhart Communications Center. Police chased Benavidez and a 14-year-old boy south from Hubbard Avenue, arresting the teen without incident. Benavidez continued running to 328 Lusher Ave., where he was shot by police after he pointed a gun at the officers, according to police. Benavidez was taken to Elkhart General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, said Ed Windbigler, chief investigator for the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office. State police said three Elkhart officers fired at Benavidez.

On Sunday state police said Elkhart police would identify the Elkhart officers by Tuesday.

The 14-year-old boy was interviewed and turned over to his father, according to state police. He was arrested on suspicion of resisting arrest, according to police.


Recommended for You


Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
 Specialist David Haubner works with traders at his post on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Friday, Oct. 17, 2014. U.S. stocks opened higher Friday as investors weighed the latest corporate earnings news and data showing home construction picked up last month. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)

Posted 41 minutes ago
 ADVANCE FOR 9:00 P.M. EDT, SUNDAY OCT. 19 AND THEREAFTER - This undated handout photo provided by the National Archives and Records Administration shows Martin Hartmann. Hartmann reached an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice in 2007 to return to Germany when it was found out he was a Nazi SS guard in World War II. An Associated Press investigation found dozens of suspected Nazi war criminals and SS guards collected millions of dollars in Social Security payments after being forced out of the United States. (AP Photo/National Archives and Records Administration)

Posted 41 minutes ago
Back to top ^