Sunday, September 21, 2014
Loading...





City looks at condemnation for three parcels in overpass project

The city of Elkhart is considering condemnation for a few properties in the Prairie Street overpass project.
Posted on March 20, 2013 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on March 20, 2013 at 5:45 p.m.

ELKHART — Initial steps toward condemnation are in the works for a few properties needed by the city for the upcoming Prairie Street overpass in Elkhart.

Efforts to secure land for the project continue to progress and have gone well, officials said, but the city has taken steps toward condemnation in case it becomes necessary, said Mike Machlan, city engineer.

The city has agreements for about 75 percent of the parcels necessary for the work, and the project appears to be gaining momentum following approval by city council two weeks ago for the local share of money required for the program.

The city has identified about 45 parcels, which include a mix of residential and commercial properties plus other small pieces of land needed temporarily for the project.

“There are some disagreements on the value of a couple parcels of land,” Machlan said.

More than anything, the city has struggled with the pace of discussions while under a fairly tight deadline, he said.

As of Tuesday, only about eight parcels have yet to be secured, Machlan said.

Initial steps toward possible condemnation on three properties have begun, but officials remain optimistic that agreements can be reached.

“I don’t want to get into details or threaten anybody,” Machlan said. “It’s a process the federal government sets up that we adhere to pretty rigidly.”

Starting condemnation doesn’t mean we’re not still willing to work with the property owner,” said Leslie Biek, an engineer with the city who is overseeing the project.

“It’s just getting the timer started,” Biek said.

City attorney Vlado Vranjes said he believes the acquisition process has gone as well if not better than when the city undertook the Indiana Avenue underpass project.

The board of works on Tuesday approved a resolution supporting future plans for the project.

Construction will span nearly two years, but when it’s done, motorists traveling north and south will have a much quicker path to and from the Indiana Toll Road.

The overpass is also expected to significantly reduce congestion and provide another option for motorists seeking alternative routes around the heavy train traffic near South Main Street.

City officials expect to seek bids on the $20 million project in December, and construction is expected to begin in the spring of 2014.




Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

Posted 8 minutes ago
 Former Army Reserve Sgt. Xavier Watt visits his grandfather's grave, who served in the U.S. Air Force,  on Memorial Day at the Houston National Cemetery on May 26, 2014, in Houston.  Like hundreds of thousands of soldiers back from the war in Iraq, Watt has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and is finding that complicates things in the workplace. He takes medication to control his dark moods, he's had extensive counseling to help him cope with conflict and he leans on his supportive family as he wrestles with scarring memories earned a decade ago far away.  He says he is OK to return to work and that he's got medical reports to prove it. So far, SunEdison won't let him back.  The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission estimates 400,000 veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan have some form of PTSD.  (AP Photo/Houston Chronicle, Johnny Hanson)

Posted 8 minutes ago
 ADVANCE FOR SUNDAY, SEPT. 21- In a fall 1987 file photo, Paul Florence, vice-president of the Drive-In Theater Corp., looks at the back side of the movie screen at the Airport Drive-In Theatre in Marquette, Mich., shortly before the Marquette County Board approved purchasing and razing the theatre. Plowed under by an ever-building wave of technology, Marquette County's once popular three outdoor theaters reside in what's known today as the drive-in theater

Posted 8 minutes ago
Back to top ^