Sunday, October 26, 2014
Loading...





Elkhart man died while serving during Missile Crisis

Elkhart man recalls experience during Cuban Missile Crisis.
Posted on Oct. 21, 2012 at 1:00 a.m.

ELKHART — On the brink of a nuclear disaster on Oct. 23, 1962, a C135 Stratolifter jet carrying more than 75,000 pounds of fuel and 31,200 pounds of class A explosives left from an air force base in Charleston, S.C., with Guantanamo Bay as its destination.

It was the same day U.S. President John F. Kennedy signed a proclamation authorizing the naval quarantine of Cuba. A day earlier the president had told the country the Soviet Union was building missile bases on Cuban territory.

Because of the quarantine, U.S. planes were prohibited from flying over Cuban territory, and in a last-minute readjustment of paths, the plane that departed from Charleston with seven men on board was ordered to make two 90 degree turns to land on the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Base. Officials at McGuire Air Force Base in N.J. had reported the landing approach was steep and difficult.

The plane crashed on the ground at Leeward Point Field, killing all men on board, including 1st Lt. Jack Douberteen, 24, of Elkhart.

“They had to make two sharp turns and the plane was heavy,” said Bill Riblet, who was a close friend of Douberteen.

Riblet and Douberteen graduated from Elkhart High School in 1956. Douberteen went to Indiana University and graduated in 1960. During college, Douberteen enlisted to the ROTC and after he graduated he was sent to McGuire Air Force Base in N.J.

He enjoyed doing his service for the Air Force, Riblet said.

“He did, absolutely.”

Douberteen was an only child, and was president of the class of 1956. His family lived on East Jackson Boulevard in Elkhart. Two months before the accident, Douberteen was the best man at Riblet’s wedding.

Riblet served at a U.S. Marine Corps. Infantry company in Camp Lejoune, and for two months, between March and May, he went to Guantanamo Bay as extra security along the fence line of the U.S. base. Riblet ended his service in August of 1962, before his wedding.

The other men on the plane who died Oct. 23 were Capt James Bailey, of Lexington, Tenn.; Capt. John Baird, of Fall Brook, Calif.; Cat. Edward Connard, of Milton, Del.; 1st Lt. Hahl Hogge, of Nampa, Idaho; T. Sgt. Lester Elliott, of Duenweg, Mo.; and S. Sgt. Booker Rigsby, of Kingston, N.C. Douberteen was the co-pilot in the plane when the accident happened.

“He was a great friend, he was very popular,” said Riblet. “An outstanding person.”

In a letter, Riblet wrote Douberteen’s “memory has never been forgotten by the many close friends and Elkhart High School classmates in the 1950s.”


Recommended for You


Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
 FILE - In this Oct. 8, 2014, file photo Bellevue Hospital nurse Belkys Fortune, left, and Teressa Celia, Associate Director of Infection Prevention and Control, wear protective suits in an isolation room in the Emergency section of the hospital during a demonstration of procedures for possible Ebola patients in New York. New York health officials are known for holdings drills on handling emergencies, and Ebola is no exception. Bellevue, the country's oldest public hospital, had been preparing for an Ebola patient in earnest since August. Ebola came to New York via Dr. Craig Spencer, who had been treating patients in Guinea. Spencer alerted his aid agency that he had developed a fever, and was transported to Bellevue by specially trained emergency workers cloaked in protective gear. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

Posted 42 minutes ago

Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^