Elkhart Truth Logo
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Loading...








Burn ban could end Monday

Elkhart County is likely to lift its ban on open burning Monday morning.


Posted on July 29, 2012 at 1:00 a.m.

GOSHEN — A countywide ban on open burning that went into effect in mid June could come to an end Monday morning.

Elkhart County will likely lift its burn ban next week, but local leaders are urging residents to be patient in the meantime. Elkhart County Board of Commissioners president Terry Rodino said fire officials spoke over the weekend about whether to end the ban since rainstorms recently rolled through northern Indiana, giving much needed relief from the ongoing drought.

“I think that’s the consensus right now,” Rodino said. “We will probably lift it but with some stern words of wisdom telling people not to think they can just burn everything and to use common sense.”

The county’s burn ban was originally issued June 15 to reduce the risk of fire hazards. Since then, the ban has been extended three times on June 18, June 25 and June 29.

Concord Fire Chief Scott Maurer said his crew has received about two dozen calls related to complaints about opening burning during the past few weeks. Though the burn ban will probably be canceled Monday, he said people should continue to use common sense when setting fire to debris.

As of Saturday evening, 74 Indiana counties were still under a burn ban. Four of Elkhart County’s neighbors — St. Joseph, Marshall, LaGrange and Noble counties — have lifted their bans.



Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
 FILE - In this undated file photo provided by Raleigh/Wake City-County Bureau of Identification, Kelvin Melton is shown. A North Carolina prosecutor was the intended target of an elaborate kidnapping plot, but the kidnappers looked up the wrong address on the Internet and abducted the prosecutor's father instead, according to an indictment released Tuesday, April 22, 2014. Authorities have said the kidnapping was retaliation for Colleen Janssen's prosecution of Melton for his involvement in a 2011 shooting. Melton, a high-ranking member of the Bloods gang, orchestrated the abduction from behind bars using a cellphone, the indictment said. (AP Photo/Raleigh/Wake City-County Bureau of Identification, File)
By MITCH WEISS Associated Press
Posted 1 hour ago
 In this photo taken on Thursday, April 17, 2014, Shawn Kraft sanitizes a surface before preparing a dish at the Courses restaurant at Baker College Culinary Institute of Michigan in Port Huron, Mich. Courses provides students hands-on experience with a restaurant environment (AP Photo/The Port Huron Times Herald, )Jeffrey Smith  NO SALES
By CRYSTAL GARCIA Times Herald (Port Huron)
Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^