Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Loading...





Video: Couple gets engaged during Thompson Square concert at Elkhart Co. 4-H Fair

A 4-H couple may have stolen the show at the Thompson Square concert at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair with a marriage proposal.
Posted on July 24, 2012 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on July 24, 2012 at 8:48 a.m.

GOSHEN — Thompson Square rocked the grandstand at the Elkhart County 4-H Fair Monday night, but Dillon Gerber may have stolen the show when he proposed to his girlfriend, Jessica Grahovac, under the jumbo-tron.

Gerber, 21, of Goshen, and Grahovac, 20, of Elkhart, met while serving as junior leaders in 4-H.

Gerber proposed at the end of the concert. A police officer, in on Gerber's set-up, approached the couple while the band was taking a break and took them toward the front left of the stage before the band returned to play a couple more songs. As Thompson Square began playing their hit single “Are You Going To Kiss Me Or Not?” the officer told Grahovac that Gerber had something to ask her and then left the couple.

Gerber talked to her for about 15 seconds, then dropped to one knee and proposed. Grahovac said yes.

Gerber said the song was fitting because it describes a relationship progressing from first kiss, to engagement, to the wedding day, through first kisses. And while he had been planning to propose for some time, he said he was nervous and shaky all day, as plans were still coming together even an hour before the concert began.

“All I can think of is she's the one,” Gerber said, a week before the proposal. “I can't imagine life without her.”

Their first date was Feb. 13, 2008, at a Valentine's Day dinner with Gerber's church's youth group. Since then, they've been falling in love.

Grahovac will begin her junior year at Purdue University this fall, where she is studying animal science. Gerber is an electrician.

Joe Kuharic and Amelia Hooper of the Digital Division contributed to this story.




 FILE - In this Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2012 file photo, an ambulance departs Bellevue Hospital in New York where patients were being evacuated. When Superstorm Sandy slammed into the Northeast nearly two years ago, hospitals found themselves dealing with surges in patients, lost power supplies and employees who couldn’t get to work _ problems that a new federal report finds they were not prepared to handle. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s Inspector General Office released a study Wednesday Sept. 17, 2014 on the emergency preparedness and response during the storm at 172 hospitals in the hardest-hit areas of New York, most of Connecticut and all of New Jersey. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

Updated 1 hour ago

Updated 1 hour ago
Back to top ^