Sunday, October 26, 2014
Loading...





ELKHART Mayor cancels fireworks, says show would put surrounding property in danger

The city of Elkhart's fireworks display for July 4 has been canceled.

Posted on June 28, 2012 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on June 28, 2012 at 11:08 a.m.

ELKHART — The city of Elkhart’s annual July 4 fireworks show has been canceled.

Mayor Dick Moore said today, June 28, that the fireworks display at Rice Field would have put the Elkhart Community Schools property and surrounding neighborhoods in danger because of the recent dry weather. Temperatures on the Fourth of July are expected to be between 90 and 100 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

The U.S. Army Field Band Volunteers will still perform at the McNaughton Park Band Shell at 7 p.m. July 4.

A group of Elkhart County and city leaders will meet Friday morning to discuss a potential ban on fireworks.

The county has been under a burn ban for the past two weeks because of the ongoing drought and heat wave. Part of that ban on open burning discourages the use of personal fireworks that are not part of an organized display.

Now the Elkhart County Board of Commissioners is facing a decision whether to ban fireworks altogether. The board will meet with local mayors, fire chiefs, police chiefs, emergency medical services personnel and directors of the county’s 911 centers. The meeting will be at 9 a.m. at the Elkhart County Public Services Building, 4230 Elkhart Road, Goshen.


Recommended for You


 FILE - In this Oct. 8, 2014, file photo Bellevue Hospital nurse Belkys Fortune, left, and Teressa Celia, Associate Director of Infection Prevention and Control, wear protective suits in an isolation room in the Emergency section of the hospital during a demonstration of procedures for possible Ebola patients in New York. New York health officials are known for holdings drills on handling emergencies, and Ebola is no exception. Bellevue, the country's oldest public hospital, had been preparing for an Ebola patient in earnest since August. Ebola came to New York via Dr. Craig Spencer, who had been treating patients in Guinea. Spencer alerted his aid agency that he had developed a fever, and was transported to Bellevue by specially trained emergency workers cloaked in protective gear. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)

Posted 41 minutes ago

Posted 1 hour ago
Back to top ^