ELKHART -- Official trick-or-treat hours for the city of Elkhart will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 30.
Elkhart Police Chief Dale Pflibsen issued a press release Thursday announcing the times and date and encouraging parents to review Halloween safety tips with their children before they go out to ask for candy.
Those tips include:
* Staying in a group
* Mapping out a route of travel
* Approaching only homes that appear to be inviting trick-or-treaters
* Not cutting through alleys and parking lots
* Refusing to enter neighbors' homes to get candy
* Wearing bright costumes to increase visibility
* Not wearing costumes that cover a child's face
Adults should accompany any child not old enough to trick-or-treat alone and check the treats before children eat them to make sure none has been altered.
Officials in other cities in Elkhart County are encouraged to contact The Elkhart Truth at email@example.com or 296-3630 when their 2010 trick-or-treat times are established. Organizers of Halloween-related community events can also contact the newspaper to have their event listed in an upcoming edition.