Friday, August 22, 2014
Loading...





Wood-grinding machine sparks fire at farm

An apparent snafu with a wood-grinding machine at a farm southwest of Goshen sparked a sawdust fire Tuesday. The blaze at 21918 S.R. 119 near the intersection with C.R. 36 apparently started after a hydraulic hose on the machine burst, sending hot fluid into an adjacent pile of sawdust. The fire, called in shortly after noon, was contained to the pile and cleared shortly after 2 p.m., said Doug

Posted on Oct. 22, 2008 at 1:00 a.m. | Updated on Oct. 22, 2008 at 2:47 a.m.

GOSHEN -- An apparent snafu with a wood-grinding machine at a farm southwest of Goshen sparked a sawdust fire Tuesday.

The blaze at 21918 S.R. 119 near the intersection with C.R. 36 apparently started after a hydraulic hose on the machine burst, sending hot fluid into an adjacent pile of sawdust. The fire, called in shortly after noon, was contained to the pile and cleared shortly after 2 p.m., said Doug Gadson, a firefighter with the Elkhart Township Fire Department.

The farm's owner, Kevin Martin, apparently grinds wood into animal bedding for use on his farm, according to Elkhart County planning officials. On Monday, he filed a request with the planning department for a special-use permit that would let him sell the ground-up material.




Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Back to top ^