Augustana Lutheran celebrates 140 years
Posted on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.
ELKHART — Augustana Lutheran Church will commemorate its anniversary during morning worship on Nov. 3.
Synodical Bishop Bill Gafkjen will join the celebration and give the rite of confirmation for five of the church’s members. A Swedish dinner will follow the service.
During the late 19th century, many Swedes came to Elkhart to find work on railroads or in factories. Since other Lutheran congregations were predominantly German, the Swedes made their own congregation in 1873.
In the early 1950s the congregation built the current church building, in which they have worshiped for more than 60 years.
Sunday worship will begin at 10:30 a.m. The church is located at 1133 Kilbourn St. in Elkhart.
For more information about the church visit augustanaelkhart.org or call 294-3823.