"It looked like an atom bomb had gone off," described Larry Tebo, a staff photographer for The Elkhart Truth who witnessed the destruction following several explosions and a fire on Jan. 7, 1976 at Accra Pac Inc.
Five died and more than 50 were injured from the disaster caused by a propane leak in the charging room of the plant. Roger Kindy, formerly with the Elkhart Fire Department recalls the day with calm clarity 38 years later. He had only been promoted to fire chief a week before the blast. "It was something that you never forget."
In this first installment of our monthly online series "History in Headlines," The Elkhart Truth looks back at the disaster at Accra Pac Inc. in Elkhart.
- Storify: Elkhart Truth readers recall day of deadly Accra Pac Plant explosion
Jan. 7, 2016
- Pages From Our Past: San Francisco earthquake (1906)
March 30, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: Ford Freed (1980)
March 9, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: A-Plant still leaking radiation (1979)
March 2, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: Knute Rockne dies (1931)
Feb. 23, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: Space shuttle explodes (1986)
Feb. 9, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: Hostages are free (1981)
Feb. 2, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: We get voting machines (1960)
Jan. 26, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: Accra Pac explosion (1976)
Jan. 19, 2014
- Pages From Our Past: Howling snowstorm socks area (1978)
Jan. 12, 2014