Goshen Roundup: Chickens, the Elkhart County 4-H Fair's concert lineup, the U.S. 33 rerouting project and more
In case you missed it, here’s a roundup of this week’s top news stories in Goshen:
- Ordinance to allow Goshen residents to keep chickens fails: This was probably the most discussed story that came out of Goshen this week. The city council debated whether to allow residents to keep hens within city limits, but the ordinance ultimately failed to pass.
- No chickens in Goshen, but what about outside of city limits?: Elkhart County Plan Director Chris Godlewski explains the rules on agricultural animals, like chickens, in unincorporated parts of the county.
- 3 Doors Down, Danielle Bradbery, Tyler Farr to perform at 2014 fair: The Elkhart County 4-H Fair announced its concert lineup for this summer. What do you think?
- Proposed U.S. 33 project in Goshen draws support, criticism at INDOT hearing: The Indiana Department of Transportation held a public hearing that brought Goshen residents together to talk about a major rerouting project for U.S. 33. Responses to the project were mixed.
- Award-winning Steel Wheels to play at Goshen College’s Umble Center in May: Goshen College released some exciting concert news this week. Tickets are on sale to see The Steel Wheels this spring.
- Goshen mayor peppers State of the City address with financial challenges, positive vibes: I covered my first State of the City speech in Goshen this week. Be sure to scroll all the way down to see a quick video of the mayor talking about the highlights of his address.
- Austin’s Band of Heathens making Ignition debut: If you’re a fan of Wilco, Sons of Bill or Dawes, you might want to check these guys out. They’ll be rocking Ignition Music Garage on Tuesday, March 25, but get tickets soon because shows there tend to sell out.
- LaCasa still seeking applicants for this spring’s Help-a-House in Goshen: Help-a-House is an income-based program that helps people make improvements to their homes, so they have a safer, more energy efficient place to live. LaCasa Inc., the nonprofit group that organizes the event each year, is looking for homeowners to participate and volunteers to help out in May.
- Deadline to register to vote in Elkhart County coming soon: Don’t let it sneak up on you. The last day to register to vote for this spring’s primary election is April 7. Here’s everything you need to know about submitting your application to vote in Elkhart County.
- Hiring event draws hundreds in Goshen: Business reporter Jeff Parrott headed out to a job fair for Lippert Components. The company announced earlier this week that it had planned to hire up to 300 people.
- Goshen College history professor’s book makes appearance in Tanzanian music video: Professor Jan Bender Shetler spent three months in East Africa and wrote a book about Tanzania’s people. Her book recently made a cameo in a new music video by Tanzanian R&B artist Lady Jaydee. Watch the video here and learn a little about Bender Shetler’s work.
- Goshen planning intersections improvements, traffic signal upgrades: The city has identified seven intersections that need improvements before Sept. 1. See the list here.
- Goshen Plan Commission hears rezoning, plat approval requests: A short and sweet story about what happened at Tuesday’s plan commission meeting.
Follow Elkhart Truth reporter Angelle Barbazon on Twitter at @tweetangelle.